Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Soup, skits and John Lennon songs: Tuesdays with my 4th graders

My 4th graders are sweethearts. They are kind. They are hilarious. They are mischeavious and curious. They are social and talkative. At times they are chatty and off task. But they have hearts of gold. They greet me sincerely everyday, and are excited to show me their test grades or their new bracelets. Basically, my 4th graders are awesome, and I always enjoy my classes with them!

Today was just another Tuesday with my 4th graders- but it always ends up being one of my favorite weekdays. At the beginning of English class, I usually greet my students and ask them some conversational questions to get them speaking. Today I asked them what they ate for dinner last night. One child told me they are "soap", and I said, "Really?" I had just taught them the difference between "soup" and "soap" last week! It´s a common mistake that many non-native speakers of English make. I had them rub their hands together while saying "soap" and then pretend to eat out of a bowl while saying "soup, yummm"! So today when Francisco said he ate soap last night for dinner, I asked "Okay, who else ate soap for dinner last night?" When a couple other students raised their hands and I made a face, they remembered the difference between the two words and started laughing and laughing.






After the opening questions we did a listening activity with an audio tape. It was an story about a group of students putting on a play with their teachers- and all the voices are done by British speakers. The students in the audiotape said things like "Oh dear, oh dear oh dear" when something went wrong. The kids love repeating silly lines like that in the British accent, and they think it´s as fun to talk like that as I do! After they listened to the story a few times Teresa and I (the teacher I work with) had the students take turns getting up in front of the class and playing different roles. Teresa lent her teacher lab coat to the students who played the teacher, and we drew a red curtain and stage up on the chalkboard behind them! They loved it and all wanted to take a turn doing the skit.

I was a little sore from running, and the class was getting a little restless, so I asked Teresa if I could lead them in some stretching exercises before switching to science. She thought that could be a good idea and put on a calm classical song. I lead them in stretches, and later she threw in some yoga moves she´s been learning at her yoga class. It was relaxing for everyone and it actually worked- they were definitely a little calmer during the next hour!

Finally, at the end of class (after a lesson on ecosystems and the Galapagos Islands) the students practiced their song for the Christmas show. They´re performing "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" by John Lennon. It is so sweet but funny to hear all of them singing in their Spanish accents. They were divided into groups to sing in rounds at certain parts, with some continually singing the part that goes "War is over, if you want it..." Another assistant´s 3rd grade class is learning the same song, and she said one of them started tearing up because they were moved by the song.

The rest of my Tuesday is spent with 6th grade, which is a whole different dynamic- but an age I also love (especially because I have a bright group of students). But I´ll save that for another time!






No comments:

Post a Comment